Friday, June 02, 2006

Beggars Can't Be Choosers

One late night, about a year ago, I was driving home from work when I realized I needed gas. It was around 3 in the morning, and I got to a gas station around La Brea and Washington Blvd...not a pretty area. As soon as I got out of the car, a tall, black man approached me and asked me if he could pump the gas. I told him it wasn't necessary, but while I was getting out my credit card, he grabbed the gas pump before I could. I told him that I didn't have any cash to give him, but he decided to keep going anyway. While he was pumping gas, he was also telling me why he was out on the street, some story about how he couldn't stand his woman nagging him and something else about his children. When he was almost done, I told him he needed to go home and make up with that nagging wife and take care of his children. He told me he would, and then he asked me to get him something to eat at Lucy's...which was about two or three blocks back North. (I was headed South towards the freeway.) Being the nice person I am, I agreed and drove out of my way to Lucy's to get him some food, while he ran all the way there. Once I got there, I realized it was a cash only place, and I didn't have any cash! I dug around in my car, and pulled out about a dollar in change though and looked at the menu to see what I could afford. One measly hamburger was about it. I ordered the hamburger, and while waiting in line to pay, the gas pump man ran up, all out of breath. He thanks me, and then he asks me what I got him. I paid and told him that I had gotten a burger. He looked at me, wildly, and said...oh no! I don't eat meat. No good deed goes unpunished.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Reminds me of one of my first years living in NY. I was on a Poor Student budget and was off to the local A&P to get some groceries. Homeless man sitting just outside of the entrance asks me if I can buy something for him to eat. I said "I'll see what I can do" and found a loaf of bread on sale. I figured if he was smart, he could make it last a few days, maybe. Finished the rest of my shopping and went outside, handed him the bread. His response? "You think you could go back and buy me some meat to put between the bread?" My response? I snatched the bread back from him and got my money back.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home